Monday, September 17, 2012

So I made some homemade, from scratch, Spaghetti sauce. And what did I learn???? Never, ever forget your garlic because the garlic powder stuff is not the same : ( !!!! Everything else turned out ok with it but the flavor was not as rich as it could be.... So fail number 1. Fail number two happened when I got ambitious and decided to make home made pasta also after I had started I realized I was making the wrong type of pasta OOPS!!! Oh well when life gives you lemons make lemonade... so I made some awesome chicken noodle soup... and put in my homemade noodles...

So project 1- Spaghetti Sauce
 
     Ingredients~
             12 pounds of Roma tomatoes (from my amazing mother-in-laws garden)
              fresh basil and parsley (from the local store, as my plants have seen better days)
              1 big onion (I like sweet onions, this I also got from the local market)
               Italian herb mix ( this stuff is awesome when my herb garden gets better I hope to make and store my own of this I use it in all my sauces and stuff)
               Garlic ( I had to use garlic powder as I forgot to buy some garlic while I was at the store I prefer the container of garlic from Costco its way sweeter)
                 Whole Bay Leaves (dried, found in your herb section of your grocery store)
                 Italian Sausages 16-19 ounces ( I go for mild because I cant do spicy)


    So I blanched all 12 pounds of tomatoes this is when you put them in boiling water for 20 to 30 seconds then you put them in cold water or an ice bath and then peel them I then proceeded to make up the base of the sauce. Many people will cut open the tomatoes and take all the seeds and a lot of the extra water out I find this a waste of time. This time I let my two year old help me I know scary thought but actually times like this will really be fun memories to share later so I taught him how to squeeze the tomatoes ( after I washed his hands really good) so we squeezed about 8 pounds of tomatoes separating them in to smaller pieces as we went we and putting them into a 7 quart Crock Pot then took the other 4 pounds and squeezed the juice into another container and then smashed up the "meat" of the tomato and put in the Crock Pot with the other 8 pounds this made it a thicker sauce. You could have used a potato masher if you wanted a finer sauce but I like thick sauce and it was funner for me and my son : D !!! So I then cooked up my Italian sausage in a frying pan with my onion (minced) and my garlic powder : ( and cooked those tell the onions were tender and my meat was all the way browned I then added it to my Crock Pot. I snip in my basil and parsley and put a good amount of the garlic powder in the sauce too as well as the Italian herb mix and some full Bay Leaves (you can remove these later) and then blend them all together turn the heat on high until the sauce gets hot and then turn it down to warm to help the flavors blend and the water will evaporate a little giving you a little thicker sauce. Let cook over night. So its had time to blend the flavors so make up your noodles and take out your bay leaves (if you want). And serve your family and friends will love it at least mine did or they were just being nice I will take what I can get : D

Have fun i will put the chicken noodle soup up later Ok!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment